Sunday, April 22, 2007

Diorama diorama night and day diorama

Our Tableaux began its transition to vivant with the process of diorama construction.

From the onset, I knew I would construct the scene from paper. I had just learnt a technique from Mr. Marcelo that I felt could be translated succesfully into 3D format.

Human figures could be broken down into generalized shapes, ovals and circles. I thought by recreating that form I could sketch the diorama eventually with relative ease. This is how the process unfolded:


1. Using paper strips, I recreated the models and mimicked body positions (as well as the little flower of which I'm quite proud)

2. I cut a base out of styrafoam to represent the floor (not seen in orginal piece), then shaved the edges with a sanding machine (whoever hasnt tried carving styrafoam should attemp it at least once) to clean it up, the attached a thin foam board (white) to the back to act as the wall.

3. I placed the paper ladies on it after "clothing" them with tissue paper to replicate the fabric.

4. I nailed 2 pieces of wood together to serve as the table top

5. Using a metal wire of medium thickness, I created the outline of the mirror that Mary rests her hand on

6. Painting the diorama. The background was initially white, as was the floor. I used the moody earth tones that Caravaggio employed to add artistic relevance to the 3D miniature model.

7. Photographing the Maquette
The importance of this step shed light on the purpose of the dioarama. I did not intitally understand the function, but after framing the scene the whole image came to light. I took the picture at different exposures in order to explore variations to the background, perhaps making it more appealing for modern day audiances.

a. diodrama - low exposure


b. table dimensions in focus



This table photo catalysed the most important observation I had made throughout the construction. My prespective and sketches of the diorama pre photograph had been skewed. Now, after adding the framework to the construct I am able to see how the models will interact with the object in the room.

c. exagerrated hues



This photograph is out of focus but the colors in at are appealing and interesting to look at.

I am unsure what elements the final selection will contain, but at least im self assured with an accurate prespective thanks to the Diorama.

(yes, brilliant idea, we get it Sir!)

No comments: