Thursday, April 12, 2007

Spiritual Cleansing - In Pencil


A few A4's and A3's later...

I came up with something i was content with...not because it was perfect...far from it...

The most impactful and charming aspect of Caravaggio's masterpiece was the look on Mary Magdelene's face. He tends to capture major emotional turning points or transitional phases. Her expression in the sketch I created had the same mood.

In my embryonic art skills, I feel I this sketch has some innocence in it. Innocence that Mary aspires too.

The cherry blossom in her hand was a common sign of purity in those days. They were used in primarily in wedding bouquets, to accentuate new beginnings...

The little insignificant flower that a few tints and tones brought to life, made me emotionally attached to the work. It's the link - from my life now in 2007 - to the artists vision back then. I'm in the middle of my own personal conversion...now I have ghosts in oil paints to share it with.

Our painting instructor said something to me the other day that's been echoeing on and off in my brain since i heard it

"if you use an experience to create art, you transcend the experience".

No comments: